Friday 14 August 2015

postcards



How sentimental are you? I have to admit that we possibly find it a teeny bit difficult to throw some of the paraphernalia of life away. I have every letter my husband (then boyfriend) wrote to me and since we met when we were 16 that's quite a lot of letters. We have most of our children's drawings and daubings, from early scribbles to school art. We keep all their homework and copybooks, we keep letters, postcards, invitations, Christmas cards, thank you cards... 

And I couldn't help myself. While rummaging around in the brocante in Fanjeaux I had to have someone else's paraphernalia too. Postcards which, I didn't realise until I got home, were all sent to the same Mademoiselle in Paris...Written in 1902, 1904 and 1905 they are a perfect little mystery. How did they end up in a provincial small town far away from Paris, who sent them, why did the sender post two almost identical cards (top picture) on the same day to the same girl... oh, thinking about it all gives me a lovely shudder up my spine, especially since there were hundreds of postcards in the dusty box in that brocante and I only chose the ones whose pictures I liked without looking at the backs of them...


No comments:

Post a Comment